Thursday, January 28, 2010

Have you heard of the book The Value of Nothing written by Raj Patel? If you haven't then you're not the only one because the truth of the matter is, I just learned of it today, I admit it got me curious, I did mentioned more than a few times that I live to read right? So I did a little research, I found out that the book was placed in the market just this month but I don't even know if it's a worldwide release so I just have to dig even further. I, also, got the chance to watch a mini clip of the author describing what his book is about with audiovisuals and all and wham my curiosity was picked even more. If you love books and if you're a manic reader like me, hunting for the next paperback or hardbound to keep you company, then I suggest you watch the video clip that I have embedded below, it might just be the book for you -



As far as I understand, Patel tackles in his book the misplaced trust and view of people and humanity in general, on prices but not on value. One may argue that prices and value can be use as one and thus can mean as one single thing but if you're gonna think about it, the author has a point. We tend to know and compare prices without really thinking about its value - a piece of lot with trees and plants for example can cost to about tens to hundreds of thousands but if that same lot was rid of all those greens and a condominium or a high-rise building was built in its place, the price of that lot will surged to millions of pesos. But, if you broaden your mind and think of the long run, which do you think is more valuable to human life, the buildings that were built or the ecosystem that was destroyed? The book will basically tell us what we subconsciously knew all along but we're just too proud or too mighty or too busy to accept and comprehend. I bet it will be a good read, how I wish the book is available here.

Oh by the way, if you want to get a copy for free, you can join in the Macmillan Press Sweepstakes, you just need to fill up the entry form here and you're set to go, entries are limited to one per household and it started last January 25 and will end on February 8 and just like other sweepstakes you need to be of legal age to enter. No purchase is necessary,it is absolutely free, so head on to their site and join now. Good luck!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving some love, I appreciate it much!

Sponsors

Blog Finds

Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 25 October 2009.

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.

The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

Whimzy Widgets

Check Google Page Rank
 

The Snoring Queen | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates